Thursday, August 12, 2010

Icon Project Final


My grandfather died when I was 2 years old, and it is very hard for me to remember his image. I could only see him through pictures my grandmother would show me. I would see his life throughout my imagination with the stories my grandmother would tell me. Every time my mom left me with my granny to be babysat, she would sit down and tell me history about my grandfather. She would tell me that he is very well known in Tijuana, even now after his death. He dedicated himself to helping others. She said that he owned a very large piece of land in Tijuana that is now known as La Colonia Castillo. He gave the land to people that were trying to get back on their feet instead of selling it to become a wealthy man. He had a very important vision, he wanted to be remembered for many years to come, he didn't want to die and his memory to die off along with him, he wanted to be remembered for the good deeds he did through his life and leave his mark in history. I’ve always felt the same way, I also want to leave my mark in history, and so ever since I’ve know about my grandfather, I have wanted to live the legacy he set down for me.
My grandfather’s name is Jose Perez Velazquez. He was very family oriented. Back in his days, when my mom was just a girl, he refused to have dinner until the whole family was together. He loved his family, especially my mom because she knew how to cook as well as my grandmother. When I asked around the neighborhood where my mom grew up, I did not hear one negative thing about him, only positive things. “He would drop whatever he was doing and come help me build my house when I needed an extra pair of hands” Don Ponsiano said. Don Ponsiano was one of the men that received land from my grandfather. He opened a small Abarrotes, a corner grocery store with the land my grandfather gave him. The store was so successful that Don Ponsiano decided to pay back the land to my grandfather, “Without him, I would have never been able to open my small business, I would be a homeless without him and I’m grateful for his help.” Don Ponsiano explained technique .
My grandfather’s vision of leaving his mark in history came from his greatest idol, Benito Juarez. According to my grandmother, his grandfather was friends with Benito Juarez, and that’s where his entire obsession with him came from. All my grandfather’s good deeds where based on Benito Juarez’s actions. Recently, my grandmother revealed to me and my cousin “El Bunny” that our grandfather was part of the Mason Society. Just like his grandfather along with Benito Juarez, he was a Mason. My Grandfather had an image of at least one man from each generation of the family becoming a Mason. Due to all my uncles failing the important task, it was up to my cousin and I to fulfill the difficult task. Masonry has always sounded interesting to me. All I know about them is what I had read on books and seen on movies. I have never thought about becoming one until my grandmother assigned me the task that for some reason. It sounds impossible for me to fulfill. Masonry requires knowledge and having powerful logic on present and past major events, which I don’t have according to my grandmother. But she has faith in me that as I mature, I’ll become more aware of the world and meet the requirements to fulfill my grandfather’s legacy. I know that I am capable of doing good things like my grandfather, he did not fulfill his accomplishments overnight, but he proved that if you dedicate yourself to something, you can accomplish anything. I will dedicate every moment of my life to become as great as my grandfather was. He is my inspiration, and I will live the legacy he set down for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment